Need to unlock a locked game on PS4? This is understandable. Often, you may have to deal with PS4 games that have locked icons. If you attempt to run the game, you will receive an error for not having the license to run it. How do you fix it?
In this article, we will talk about various possible ways to unlock a locked game on PS4 quickly and easily. Read on to know more.
It has been almost eight years since Playstation 4 was released, and ever since, there have been numerous games released for it. Sony has released the PS5 but made it clear that they are still working on the PS4.
Several reasons can cause PS4 games to lock, which can be very frustrating and difficult to resolve. In this article, we will thoroughly discuss the reasons your PS4 apps or games get locked and how to unlock ps4 games and apps easily.
Why Are Games Locked On Ps4?
The padlock only appears on games that have been downloaded and not on games installed on disks. Since the purpose of downloading any content from the Internet is to acquire a license to use it instead of purchasing a physical copy, you are automatically considered to be the owner of that content.
The reason your PS4 game is locked is that your PS4 does not recognize that it is licensed to you. Therefore, it locks it due to an error when verifying you are the owner, despite the fact that you may have downloaded it.
How to Unlock Locked Games on PS4
In this section, we will discuss the ways to fix locked PS4 games yourself.
Make Sure PlayStation Connected to the Internet
PlayStation 4 can be used even if you don’t have internet access. But, since you’ve purchased all your PS4 games through your Playstation account, your PS4 must contact the PlayStation servers to confirm that you purchased them.
Unfortunately, there are times when you miss an internet connection for whatever reason. If your PS4 gets disconnected from the internet you suddenly find that these games are locked to the games you downloaded.
Therefore, you might want to check to ensure that your PS4 is connected to the internet.
Check Playstation’s Servers
Playstation games are all connected to Playstation Network. So, in case of a network outage, you won’t be able to login into digitally purchased games and you will see a lock icon on those games and apps. Everyone will experience this as well. Hence, ensure that all PlayStation services are running and there is a possibility that this is what is causing lock games issue on PS4.
Sadly, when a service is unavailable, the only thing you can do is wait until it goes back up. The only thing you can do is activate your PS4 as primary. Follow the below steps to check the current status of Playstation Network’s servers.
- Click UP on the home screen, and then go to “Settings“
- Select Network
- Now, navigate to the View Status of PlayStation Network Services
- Make sure they are up and running
Activate PS4 As Primary
Secondly, make sure the PlayStation 4 console you’re using is set as the primary console. Unless you do this, one user will be unable to play games that another user has downloaded from another PlayStation Network account.
In other words, you might not have a license to play games that are downloaded on a different Playstation network account. Having said that, there is a pretty straightforward way to allow shared licenses and that’s by setting your PS4 as the primary console.
Go to Settings > Account Management > Activate as Your Primary PlayStation 4 > Choose Activate.
Then you will be able to share licenses for downloaded games as well as benefit from the PlayStation Plus features such as playing online and playing free games offered every month.
Once this is activated, you can do all this across all of your users, regardless of which account they use.
- ALSO READ: – How to Copy and Paste on PS4 (3 Ways in 2023)
The process may seem simple, but it has proved effective in dealing with the majority of Playstation glitches. Playing PS4 games without a license is not possible, so restart your console to reinitialize the system.
Restore Licenses on PS4
Most PlayStation users face license issues on PS4. This issue tends to happen whenever they switch from one PS to another and then download the purchased games. Additionally, there may be server-side issues causing this.
Whenever you buy a Playstation game, it has an exclusive license that is only valid for your account. Your PS4 automatically tracks licenses for games you buy from the PlayStation Network. Here is how you can find and restore your game licenses on PS4.
- Click UP on the home screen, and then tap “Settings”
- Click Restore Licenses.
- Click Restore again to begin the process. You may need to wait several seconds or even minutes to regain access to your licenses, depending on how many licenses you have and how fast your internet connection is
- As soon as your licenses are restored, you will be notified. Click OK to proceed.
- Once this step is complete, you can return to the PS Store and check if the problem has been resolved.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What to do if your ps4 games are locked?
- If the Playstation Network is banned, users won’t be able to play online. Users are banned if they are found guilty of breaking community rules and guidelines. Usually, a ban will only be imposed after several suspensions, however, if there is a serious violation, a ban could be imposed immediately.
- In the event that you experience locked apps or game issues on PS4, you should check your email since PlayStation will send you an e-mail if your account is suspended or banned.
- If you don’t renew your PS Plus subscription, you won’t have access to games you downloaded with Plus previously. Also, the Plus benefits like monthly games, online storage, and online multiplayer
- If the Primary PS4 is not the PlayStation 4, then only accounts with a PS Plus subscription can access PlayStation Plus games.
- Ensure the PlayStation Network is back up and running.
- Ensure that your PlayStation is connected to the internet.
How do I unlock games on ps4?
- To unlock locked games on PS4 you have to Restore Licenses.
- In order to use PlayStation Plus free games on an account without PS Plus, the PS4 must be the primary console on that account. To do that head over to Settings > Account Management > Activate as Your Primary PlayStation 4 > Activate.
- Make sure console sharing is enabled within the Users and Account of the menu, and click Other.
- To check for service interruptions for the PlayStation Network, go to the Settings > Network > View Status of PlayStation Network Services.
- Also, ensure the PS4 is also connected to the internet.
How to unlock locked games on ps4 without internet?
To get rid of locked games on ps4 without internet, follow the below steps.
- From the home screen click UP, then select “Settings“
- Click on User’s Guide/Helpful Info and then User’s Guide
- Now, wait for some time and you will get an error message “There’s not enough free system memory”
- Click OK and wait for a second and again click OK
- Wait till you get the Done option
- Once you get the Done option, click the option button
- Now, go to Close window
- That’s it! Now, go back and see.
These are the solutions on how to unlock locked games on ps4 with or without the internet. We hope this guide helped you understand how to fix locked games on PS4. If you still experience issues, you should definitely contact PlayStation Support directly.
Try these methods and tell us in the comment section, did these methods work for you?
Here is a video guide on how to unlock locked games on PS4