Perhaps you don’t want to use Afterpay anymore and would like to remove your account from their service. Or perhaps you are unhappy about their late fees or their spam emails/SMS. No matter what your reason is, if you’re wondering how to delete the Afterpay account, removing your data from the Afterpay pay-later service, we’ve outlined the process below.
It shouldn’t be difficult to delete your Afterpay account. Sadly, because the company does not want its users to leave, it is incredibly time-consuming and confusing. It doesn’t matter why you want to delete your Afterpay account permanently, we’ll show you how to do it in this step-by-step guide.
There’s no denying that Afterpay’s a great platform for buying something instantly and paying it off over eight weeks. But you may decide to leave the platform for a number of reasons. It might be because you’re concerned about impulse spending.
Afterpay’s biggest drawback is that it encourages bad spending habits. When it comes to impulse purchases, platforms like Afterpay are revolutionizing the industry because they enable you to purchase things you want immediately and make the payment later in installments.
There aren’t too many steps involved in deactivating the Afterpay account, but there are a few things to keep in mind. First, ensure that your account balance is $0 before deleting your account. More importantly, even after your account is closed, Afterpay may keep the information it holds about you as long as necessary, including details for legal compliance purposes.
How to Delete Afterpay Account On Website?
Many users do not have the option to delete their Afterpay account through the official app. For those users, here’s how to delete your Afterpay account permanently from the computer through the website.
- Visit the official Afterpay website on your computer or phone.
- To delete an account, you must log in with that account.
- Go to the “My Profile” section
- On this page, click “Deactivate Account”
- Choose the reason why you want to delete your Afterpay account.
- Submit it! You are done!
How to Delete Afterpay Account On App?
Here’s how to delete the Afterpay account from the app:
- Open the Afterpay app on your phone.
- Login to your account (skip this step if you are already logged successfully)
- Tap the “My Profile” option
- From here, click on the “Deactivate Account”
- You need to provide a reason for closing the account
- Your account will be closed once the process is complete, and you will receive an email confirmation.
How to Cancel Afterpay Account Directly?
You can also get in touch with Afterpay support by filling out a form to cancel your Afterpay account directly. Here is how you can do so.
- Visit Afterpay account close request submit page
- Here you need to enter your registered email, the reason for closing your account, first & last name, date of birth, phone number, country, and merchant ID
- After entering and picking all the required details, tick the Privacy Notice
- At last, click on the Submit button.
How To Close Your Afterpay Account?
Alternatively, you can close your Afterpay account by writing an email to Afterpay customer service and asking them to close your account. Here are the steps to close your Afterpay account;
- Open Gmail or any other email service provider you use
- Make sure you log in with the email address you registered with Afterpay service
- At the bottom right, click the Compose option.
- In the “To” field, enter email@example.com
- On the subject field, type “Request to Delete My Afterpay Account”
- Type your message about why you want to close your Afterpay Account in the main body field.
- Tap the Send button at the top of the page.
- Done! Now, you have to wait for the confirmation email from Afterpay. You may need to provide a few more details to Afterpay to delete your account from their side. So, you have to give the details they ask you in the reply mail.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why should you delete Afterpay account?
- There’s a possibility you’ll spend more than you planned.
- After you enroll in an Afterpay payment plan, failure to make your fortnightly payments can result in late payment fees.
- Afterpay’s terms specify that the company, as well as its partners, are permitted to perform “identity verification” and “repayment capability checks” regarding you or your account. Thus, you may be required to verify your identity through third-party databases.
- Unlike credit card or personal loan payments, it isn’t possible to pick the day your payment will be due with Afterpay
- The recurring payment plan makes it hard to keep track of your upcoming payments.
- Spending limits and eligibility criteria.
Can I delete my Afterpay account?
Deleting the Afterpay account is relatively easy with the steps we have outlined in this article. You can close your account by logging into the Afterpay account then clicking My profile > Deactivate Account > Confirm the reason for closing the account> enter your password to complete the process.
Can Afterpay or someone else delete my account for me?
No. Afterpay or any other third-party apps/sites can’t delete your Afterpay account. Please make sure you have your login credentials and use that to delete your Afterpay account using the instructions above.
How to cancel Afterpay account deletion?
Officially, there are no ways to cancel the deletion of the account. But, you can contact Afterpay to get more details. They can do that for you.
How to freeze your Afterpay account?
Whenever you feel like you want to stop using Afterpay, you can contact them and they will temporarily freeze your account, preventing you from shopping with AfterPay. You can unfreeze your account at any time. Freezing your AfterPay account is a great method to keep your spending under control.
How to reactivate the Afterpay account?
Once you deactivate your account, you will still be able to access your account information and order history. It will be impossible to make any new Afterpay purchases without reactivating your account.
Follow these steps to reactivate your Afterpay account:
- Navigate to “My profile”
- Click “Reactivate account”
- You must enter your password
- Check the details of your account (name and address)
- That’s it! That’s all you need to reactivate your account back.
Is it possible to have 2 Afterpay accounts?
You can have two Afterpay accounts. But you are only allowed to use only one account on the purchase at any given time.
Does Afterpay charge interest?
With Afterpay, there is no interest charge, not even for late payments. Instead, you’ll be charged a late fee if you are late for the re-payment installment. Paying off your Afterpay balance early is possible. Since you are not charged interest, you will not save any money. You will, however, be able to pay off the debt sooner and reduce the chance of having to pay a late fee.
Does Afterpay affect your credit score?
You shouldn’t worry about your credit score being affected by Afterpay. Unlike credit cards, Afterpay does not run hard credit checks, so your score won’t be affected.
Does Afterpay report your activity to credit bureaus?
Borrowers generally don’t need to worry about missed payments being reported to credit bureaus.
In case you have changed your mind and not going to close your Afterpay account, there are lots of ways for you to tailor your experience with the app. For instance, avoiding your unhealthy shopping addictions, paying back the installments early to get rid of late fees, and more. Also, you can try other AfterPay alternatives that can give you a better experience.
Hopefully, we have made things easier for you and you’ll find these instructions useful. In case you have any further questions about how to delete or temporarily freeze your Afterpay account, feel free to use the comments section!
Also Read: –
- 11 Apps Like Sezzle (Buy Now Pay Later Alternatives in 2022)
- 21 Best Sites Like Fingerhut to “Buy Now Pay Later” with No Credit Check
- 11 Zip Pay Alternatives (Buy Now, Pay Later Apps & Sites)
- Quadpay Alternatives: 17 Best Sites & Apps Like Quadpay (2022)